Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An Exciting New Hertford Site is Underway

I've begun piecing together the website I hope will begin collecting the history, stories, memories, and facts about Hertford, NC and recording them so they are never forgotten. To keep the explanation simple, I'm using skills learned at my day job to create an interactive history. Currently, all that exists is a database and a couple of pages that link to it. There is a form where you can input certain information about Hertford Houses. This data is stored and presented on another page, along with a link. We will build the links one at a time - each to another house in Hertford, with historical information, a place for people to enter photos, stories, and comments, and links to the people who lived there, designed the building, and interacted with it. Next will be a database for people, but I want to start by getting the city in place.

When I'm done, I expect to put up a map of the area, broken up into lots. There will be links on the side, and you'll be able to enter a year - press a button, and only the houses that existed in that year will populate the map. It's ambitious, but I think history is important...so there you go.

Interested readers can check out my progress by watching here - and by checking the following link: The Hertford Houses Web Page

Onward!

DNW

No comments: